Re: foxpro2.6 to oracle8i

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2003 10:17:39 -0800

Migrators wrote:
> we intend to do project on designing a migrator tool which converts
> the database from foxpro2.6 to oracle8i on the Novell netware5.1
> Help us with your suggestions to start with.

Suggestion #1 ... don't use Oracle 8i. Desupport for 8i will begin at the end of next year. You should be working with 9.2.0.4.

If forced to use 8i make sure you start with 8.1.7.4 and apply all patches before proceeding with the migration.

Suggestion #2 ... Orale does not belong, if it will even run on, Novell. Get yourselves a Linux box.

Suggestion #3 ... if you do not understand Oracle's multiversion concurrency model hire a consultant that does. Oracle is not FoxPro on steroids. It is an entirely different beast.

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu