Re: Query tool for smart usersQ

From: Lee <lee_at_jamtoday.com>
Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2003 19:38:59 -0500

[Quoted] Daniel Morgan wrote:

> Lee wrote:
>
>> I have some fairly tech friendly users who would like to be able to
>> do their own SQL queries.
>>
>> Two problems:
>> 1. Can anyone suggest a good book on SQL (better yet, Oracle's flavor
>> of SQL) that might be appropriate for people with
>> a technical mind set but pretty much zero background in databases,
>> Oracle, query languages, etc,
>>
>> 2. Natrurally we can set them (the users, I mean) with sql*plus BUT
>> thats pretty spartan. They would be using wintel clients to access
>> our remote UNIX server.
>> Can anyone suggest a better tool, either Oracle or thrird party? If
>> third party its got to be cheap (GJ Linker's SQL*XL
>> qualifies, for example)
>>
>> If Oracle, it has to be already bundled in with Oracle 8i enterprize
>> edition, hence "free" i.e. already paid for out of existing budget.
>>
>> Thanx in advance
>

> Given the users level of expertise ... a very small number it appears
> ... my advice would depend on whether they are querying against a data
> warehouse or production data.
>
> If production data I'd suggest Discoverer or Business Objects with
> someone competent putting together the end-user layer and providing
> training.
>
> If against a data warehouse those two tools are still good choices but
> for those with more skill, or a willingness to learn I'd suggest
> Crystal Reports.
>
> The danger with handing a SQL interface and a book over to the
> untrained is that they will quickly teach you how many different ways
> it is possible to create a Cartesian join.

[Quoted] Ooh! Good point, but I think it cant be helped. I guess a requirement for any tool is that the query should be a "Cancel Query" button for when the users query, as formulated, will finish somewhere around 2015.

I'll have to look into "Discoverer". We need something with a pretty quick learning curve, or the user will get frustrated and just chuck the whole thing.

Thanx. Received on Sun Nov 23 2003 - 01:38:59 CET

Original text of this message