Re: Thanks and how's the job market for Forms?

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 12 Nov 2003 16:26:38 -0800

pixelmeow <NJZLIRWUWYGI_at_spammotel.com> wrote in message news:<15e5584f1c981369e2aca5cac1916498_at_news.teranews.com>...
> On Tue, 4 Nov 2003 12:30:11 +0100, in comp.databases.oracle.tools,
> "Jan Gelbrich" <j_gelbrich_at_westfalen-blatt.de> scribbled:

> >> ill buy your book.
> >
> >Me, too !
>
> I will as well. Every time I need some help, I can't seem to find it
> unless it's in very vague terms or it assumes you are an expert. I
> look forward to seeing your work since I have learned much from you in
> browsing these Oracle groups looking for answers to my questions.

Maybe Oracle just hasn't got to it yet. Heck, I only just found http://portalstudio.oracle.com/pls/ops/docs/FOLDER/COMMUNITY/OTN_CONTENT/MAINPAGE/UPGRADE/TARGET9026/904BETAUSERSGUIDE.PDF which says in the preface "If you've used previous releases of Oracle9iAS Portal, you'll most likely notice that the documentation set is quite different in Release 9.0.4. In the past, most
task-related information was available in the online help. Beginning with Release 9.0.4, this information is presented in book form only. Field-level and conceptual help are still available through the online help system and, in future releases, will provide links to step-by-step information in the appropriate manuals."

I would guess all components would have similar things happening, assuming there is a desire on Oracle's part to have consistent docs.

Regarding the OP about the forms job market, I think Daniel is correct in the basic stability of Forms jobs in large shops. In the large shops where I've been a DBA, I noticed there were lots of contract Forms programmers. This can be taken to mean it's a temporary situation, but now several years later I see most of the same people are there, and the few that have left have been replaced. So for a career path, there may be something to getting the skill (in combination with other experience), to get such a job, then hopefully get additional skills to continue on. On the downside, I saw at least one guy who would have made IMO an excellent development DBA, not get the DBA job because he was too good at Forms. I don't think management understood the concept of a development DBA.

jg

--
_at_home.com is bogus.
http://smogcheck.ca.gov/vehtests/pubtstqry.aspx and submit snoopy2 -