Re: Different Oracle Software packages

From: Anna C. Dent <anacdent_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2003 14:02:51 -0800

Eric D. wrote:

> Hi,
>
> There are different Oracle software packages at their download site:
>
> - Database
> - Application Server
> - Development Tools
> - Data Warehousing and Business Intelligence
> - more
>
> and each of these groups has sub-groups, e.g. under Application Server there
> are
>
> - Oracle9i Application Server
> - Oracle9iAS Portal
>
> I'm confused as to what each package does. What's the difference between
> "Database" and "Application Server". Which one
> do I need? And under each group, which sub-group do I need?
>
> Any help is most appreciated!
>
> Regards,
> Eric

What problem are you trying to solve?
By which metrics have what values will an independent observer know when the problem has been solved.

You question is very much like me saying the following... Many tools are used in the construction trades to build buildings. Which tool should I use?

Even given that you have the correct tool in your hand, if it is not used wisely that is not the fault of the tool.

A shovel is a great tool for digging a hole, but only when the "right" end of it comes into contact with the ground. ;-) Received on Mon Oct 27 2003 - 23:02:51 CET

Original text of this message