Re: Upgraded from win98 to win2000 and no more oracle

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2003 15:14:09 -0800

Alex Thomas wrote:

>I was running oracle 8i (personal addition) on my home win98 computer I
>upgraded my computer to win2000. After the upgrade the computer no logger
>recognized the oracle install. I could not reinstall it or uninstall it.
>Can anyone tell me how to manually get oracle off my computer so I can
>reinstall it under win2000? I do not need to keep any data in the database,
>it was purely for "practice" and experimentation.

Most likely the version of Oracle you have is wholly incapatible with Win2K. So you'd be best off
removing it and getting a nice clean copy of 9i by download or from store.oracle.com

Step 1: Delete everything under c:\oracle\ or its equivalent
Step 2: Delete everything under c:\ program files in the Oracle directory
Step 3: Very very carefully delete everything under ORACLE in the registry
found at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ORACLE

And it would be best to backup the registry before you do this in case you make a mistake.

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu