Re: Oracle ---> SAS or SPlus

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2003 09:54:36 -0700

CR Optiker wrote:
On Thu, 16 Oct 2003 04:48:15 GMT, Hans Forbrich wrote:

CR Optiker wrote:

I helping a statistician colleague track down a way to move data from
Oracle to preferrably SPlus, SAS, or if not, to another common statistics
software tool. The sledge hammer approach would be to query the database to
extract the data, then export it to a flat file and read it into the stat
app. Is there any other approach that's easier/more direct, etc.?

Any suggestions? If not, any pointers to web sites that might help would
also be appreciated.

Thanks!

Just curious - why are you looking at SAS or SPlus instead of Oracle's
capability in that area?  Specifically Oracle Data Mining option!  I was
under the impression the native database capability plus the 'Data
Mining' option is supposed to be roughly equivalent to the other
products you mention.  If true, then you would totally eliminate the
need to move data, wouldn't you?

The person I'm doing the search for doesn't feel that Oracle provides the
statistical tools he needs.

Does he know what tools are there or is he just thinking columns and rows? I could be wrong but my guess
is that he has no idea what it is he is rejecting due to lack of knowledge. It would be interesting to see a
list of what he thinks is missing.
--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu