Re: What's fastest way to get the total number of records in a big table?

From: Ryan Gaffuri <rgaffuri_at_cox.net>
Date: 3 Oct 2003 05:00:18 -0700

"Andy" <andytan238_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<3f778435$0$95045$c30e37c6_at_lon-reader.news.telstra.net>...
> Hi,
>
> Can someone tell me what's fast way to get total of records in a table
> except using "select count(*)" statement? Can I get the information from a
> system table?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Andy

fastest is a count off of a bitmap index. Bitmap indexes are fast to create also. they cant be used in a high transaction system though due to locking issues. Therefore in a high transaction system the fastest is counting on an index since you can read the index at the speed of your multi_block_read_count

Its alot slower than a bitmap count though. Received on Fri Oct 03 2003 - 14:00:18 CEST

Original text of this message