Re: Potential Oracle "convert"

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2003 13:13:35 -0700

David E. Grove wrote:
Sorry, I should have said... Would be migrating from Informix 9.21

DG

"David E. Grove" <david_grove_at_correct.state.ak.us> wrote in message

Folks,

[Quoted] We are currently an Informix shop.

My boss wants to move to Oracle.

Are there any tools to assist in migrating an Informix database to Oracle?
We have about 1000 tables and 1000 stored procedures.  I think it would be

big job if it all had to be done by hand.

Thanks for any comments.

DG

--
David Grove

"I think not," said Descartes, and disappeared.

[Quoted] Oracle sells a migration workbench but it is of limited value. It will get the process started by it won't finish it by any stretch of the imagination.

When moving from Informix to Oracle one must keep in mind that the basic underlying architecture is completely different. Some things are very simple to migrate ... change dbspace to tablespace change frangment to partition. But some things are very different and require having a thorough understanding of how locking and transaction handling are different.

If you would like a reference to someone that has conducted training for Informix to Oracle migration, or a reference to someone whose company has made the same move very successfully email me off-line at my email address below including the appropriate letter substitution.
--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu