Re: missing datafile

From: Richard Foote <richard.foote_at_bigpond.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2003 13:07:05 GMT

"yls177" <yls177_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message news:c06e4d68.0308110457.32d750b6_at_posting.google.com...
> we did a offline backup. backup was successful. however, in our
> script, we forget to include a newly added datafile into the backups.
> therefore, the successful backup is short of one missing data file. my
> question is that is it possible to restored this offline backup in
> another box considering that a datafile is not present.

Hi

Well yeah, but you'll need to take the datafile offline before you can open the database (or modify the controlfile). Either way, the missing data will obviously not be there. Or is there no data yet in the new datafile, hence your consideration for restoring the database anyway ?

You could of course backup the missing file and recover the database (assuming you have the required redo logs) or re-create the datafile, then perform the recovery.

You have various options depending on what you want to do.

Good Luck

Richard Received on Mon Aug 11 2003 - 15:07:05 CEST

Original text of this message