Re: Oracle Forms: Need advice

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_exxesolutions.com>
Date: Wed, 06 Aug 2003 16:10:19 -0700

Dave Williams wrote:

>Daniel,
>
>There was no mention of parent-child relationships !!!! This is a form
>based upon a SINGLE block. Also, I did use the built in wizard !!!
>
>So, the only thing that I am doing is obtaining data from foreign tables
>into non-database fields.
>

>"Daniel Morgan" <damorgan_at_exxesolutions.com> wrote in message
>

>>Dave Williams wrote:
>>

>>>All,
>>>
>>>Need some advice on what the best way to handle the following situation
>>>

>is.
>

>>>I have a form that is based upon a DB table. There are about 4 columns
>>>

>that
>

>>>are id's and link to other tables. I have a post_query trigger that
>>>

>obtains
>

>>>the data from the relevant tables and puts them into text fields on the
>>>form. So, the id fields are never displayed. If a query is run and I
>>>

>then
>

>>>elect to close the form it asks if I want to save the data, assuming here
>>>that since the data was loaded into text fields Oracle Forms is now
>>>

>thinking
>

>>>that the data has been modified.
>>>
>>>What I have done in the past is to use the set_record_property in the
>>>post_query table.
>>>
>>>Is there a better way of handling this ?
>>>
>>>Thanks in advance.
>>>

>>>Dave.
>>>

>>Sounds to me like rather than using the built-in wizard to configure
>>parent-child relationships and automate this you invested in writing
>>your own.
>>
>>I'd suggest dropping your triggers and using the native functionality:
>>It works.
>>
>>--
>>Daniel Morgan
>>http://www.outreach.washington.edu/extinfo/certprog/oad/oad_crs.asp
>>damorgan_at_x.washington.edu
>>(replace 'x' with a 'u' to reply)

What you wrote was: "There are about 4 columns that are id's and link to other tables." which is what led me to believe you had kludged together parent-child relationships.

My advice though still stands ... put the other tables into the form and let the form manage the data.

If that doesn't make sense ... assume I still don't have a clear idea of what you are actually trying to do and what is causing the problem.

--
Daniel Morgan