Orbitz dumps RAC for better reliability

From: Keith <nospam_at_nospam.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2003 19:14:23 -0400

I thought RAC users should know. No sense in self imposed ignorance eh? Quoted from computer world:

"It was an [Oracle] database issue, and we decided to make an
architectural change to the site, a change that will put us in a position to move forward with even higher reliability," Jouzaitis said.
"The site is performing great now."

Jouzaitis said that as a result, Orbitz is no longer using Oracle Corp.'s 9i Real Application Clusters database software. [..]

The Orbitz outage comes at a time when Oracle is touting its
"unbreakable" software in an extensive marketing campaign. "Unbreakable"
refers to a database that will not go down, even if the server or the site fails. Oracle is also in the midst of a hostile takeover of rival PeopleSoft and is trying to project a customer-friendly image.

Please see full article here:
http://www.computerworld.com/databasetopics/data/software/story/0,10801,83186,00.html Received on Fri Jul 18 2003 - 01:14:23 CEST

Original text of this message