Re: Logon & stopping and starting processes on local machine

From: Shoval Tomer <shoval_at_softov.co.il>
Date: 4 May 2003 05:45:07 -0700

Mick A <none_at_none.coom> wrote in message news:<6bf9bvspsqfdm6uk94i8d2h4srebuqcqgq_at_4ax.com>...
> Could someone give me a bit of advice. I recently completed
> introduction to 9i course and use Oracle at work.
> I decided to d/l the version of oracle to play around with on my
> laptop.
>
> Two questions:-
>
> I have installed a database, which I can connect through in enterprise
> manager, but when ever I log on in sql+ get this message.
> Ora -12154: TNS: Could not resolve service name.
> What do I need to put into my tnsnames.ora (or where else) to connect
> to the local machine?
>
> Also I would like to have a couple of batch files on my pc to stop and
> start the oracle processes, as and when I need them. What do these
> need to contain.
>

> Thanks?

For ora-12154 go to start > programs > %ORAHOME% > configuration and migration tools > oracle net configuration assistant and there you can configure the listener and / or the tnsnames entry if you haven't done so already. You will need to know your SID for this.

As for the batch files - it's quite easy. all you have to do is write a batch files containing "net stop <service name>" for each service you'd like to stop. let's say your database's service is named OracleServiceOrcl, then the batch file will read 'net stop oracleserviceorcl', if the service name contains spaces you need to enclose it in double quotes for this to work.

Good Luck Received on Sun May 04 2003 - 14:45:07 CEST

Original text of this message