Re: Replacement of host command in 3 tier environment

From: Karsten Farrell <kfarrell_at_belgariad.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2003 16:32:45 GMT

fehers_at_freemail.hu said...
> Hi folks,
>
> We are just want to migrate our client server application to the web.
> We have several forms in that (more than 200) but there is only a few
> which we have to call an external tool, usualy a simple copy there.
> We have to keep the same functionality we have now and I'm wondering
> any solution or suggestion to transfer files from the application
> server to the client securely via our application. The files are
> pretty small and we should do it only once a month.
>

> thanks in advance., Sandor

I don't know for sure what your external tools do, but can you possibly implement them as CGI scripts when you move to the web? That way, they stay on the server (where you can control them) and don't have to be moved to the client (where you lose control of them).

If you do move them to CGI, you'll need to be cautious with security issues because there are plenty of security drawbacks to server-side scripts.

--
/Karsten
DBA > retired > DBA