Re: Email Validation

From: <bsc7080mqc_at_mylxhq.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2003 22:45:34 -0400

[Quoted] I am going to have agree and disagree with the response that you were given.... true... to know if the address is real you would have to send and wait for the bounce on a bad address and then handle the bounce in someway.

However... there are about 7 things you can check for to ensure you are working with a valid formatted address. I have code that I can share with you.... let me know if you are interested.

  1. Must include at least one _at_ symbol
  2. Must be no less than 4 characters in length (a_at_b.c)
  3. Must have at least once period following the last _at_ symbol
  4. Must have at least 1 character preceding the first _at_ symbol
  5. Must have at least 3 characters proceeding after the last _at_ symbol
  6. Must not be NULL
  7. Cannot include \ or ' as these are escape characters that many mail servers will have problems with

MylxHQ - Oracle Resource Portal
http://oracle.mylxhq.com Received on Wed Apr 16 2003 - 04:45:34 CEST

Original text of this message