Re: PLUS80W.EXE

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_exxesolutions.com>
Date: Thu, 03 Apr 2003 13:35:31 -0800

Larry wrote:

> <snipped>
>

> > Your DBA should know enough to know that the cancel button doesn't cancel anything.
> >
> > 'Cancel' is only effective to stop a result set from writing to SQL*Plus.
> >
> > Daniel Morgan
>
> Please keep the DBA out of the picture. The DBA was only mentioned
> because they were as 'dumbfounded' as I as to why Oracle would release
> a new products and actually downgrade the functionality. If you have a
> problem with 'dumpfounded', please use your dictionary - 'curious'
> happens to be the defination.
>
> If you had used PLUS33W, you would know that <cancel> terminates the
> query. It may take a few moments to 'rollback' anything that is has
> done and release the resource, so it could appear that the query is
> still running, but the query itself has terminated.
>
> The SQLPLUS application on the database can be used, but then it would
> require moving all scripts to the Unix environment as it cannot access
> our NT Network, so this is not a viable option
>
> By your responses, I can tell that you are well versed in
> understanding Oracle theory.

Dumbfounded actually refers to my impression of your entire series of postings.

[Quoted] Leaving your DBA out, at your request, you are absolutely 100% incorrect about cancel terminating a query. [Quoted] [Quoted] And it has never been different in any version of Oracle going back at least 14 years.

Try the following link to SQL*Plus Basics to learn SQL*Plus basics. http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/A87860_01/doc/server.817/a82950/ch2.htm#1001671

Daniel Morgan Received on Thu Apr 03 2003 - 23:35:31 CEST

Original text of this message