Re: Can being certified in Oracle greatly increase your chances in getting a job?

From: Karsten Farrell <kfarrell_at_belgariad.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2003 16:56:03 GMT

michaelcabrera_at_aol.com said...
> Can being certified in Oracle greatly increase your chances in getting an
> entry-level job even during this harsh economy? I heard that most entry-level
> and even junior level Oracle jobs are virtually non-existent or extremely
> scarce.
>
> Why go through the hassle of certification if it still won't get your foot
> through the door?

Remember that the people who do the hiring are people. There are a zillion different personality types doing the hiring ... with as many diverse requirements in their own minds. Therefore, anyone who tells you that this or that certification will increase your chances of getting a job is blowing smoke.

If the person doing the hiring thinks certifications are good, it will help. If the person doing the hiring thinks certifications are worthless, it won't help.

Most of the time, you'll have to face that panel of current employees who will ask you questions. They're the ones who'll make you sweat. They probably won't ask you OCP questions, either. How well you handle yourself when pitted against this panel of "experts" is what gets you hired. And, incidently, it really helps if the panel happens to like you.

But most of all, keep trying. Keep everyone you know aware of your job search ... people networking does work. There ARE entry-level jobs out there. I wish you lots of luck in being at the right place at the right time.

--
/Karsten
DBA > retired > DBA