Re: Help in Oracle Reports

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_exxesolutions.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2003 08:32:36 -0800

Prasad Ajinkya wrote:

> Hello all!
> I am a newbie in web development and am instructed to generate on the
> fly reports that are database driven. Since we are using Oracle 8.1.6
> as a database, i thought that Oracle Reports maybe used.
> So can anyone tell me how to go about getting Oracle Reports?? url of
> download if possible and how exactly can i use it??
> I know its a kind of vague question, but any and all comments will be
> appreciated and are welcome.
>
> Many Thanx in advance,
> Regards,
> Prasad A.

Jeff certainly gave you an opinion ... but didn't answer your specific question so I'll to try get you what you want.

You can download Oracle Reports for free as part of Internet Developer Suite from oracle.com. Look at the top of the home page for "downloads".

I have personally worked with all of the major report products ... Oracle Reports, Oracle Discoverer, Crystal, Cognos, and Brio and there are things Oracle Reports does better than any of the others with respect to working with the Oracle database. One of those areas is the incredibly powerful use of triggers. The product's weakest point is the difficulty in formatting. It can do anything but the interface has a slightly steeper learning curve than some of the others. That said ... if you learn it you have added a powerful tool to your skillset and your resume.

To decide which product to use requires knowing exactly what the reports are intended to do and to what extent data must be staged before the report is executed.

Daniel Morgan Received on Thu Mar 20 2003 - 17:32:36 CET

Original text of this message