Re: writing files by pl/sql

From: Alex Filonov <afilonov_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 7 Feb 2003 10:30:48 -0800

DA Morgan <damorgan_at_exesolutions.com> wrote in message news:<3E428C46.83307170_at_exesolutions.com>...
> Oliver Stratmann wrote:
>
> > Hello All,
> >
> > is there another way of writing files with a pl/sql-procedure than using the
> > utl_file-package?
> > is there a way of writing files with a pl/sql-procedure on a client-machine?
> >
> > thanks in advance!
> > oli
>
> There are other ways using C and Java.
>
> On the client? Undoubtedly if you wrap your own in C or Java but I've not seen
> anyone do it. And I'd never do it as it could be a huge security violation
> allowing data to walk out the door in diskette.

Sorry, if data is available on the client machine (isn't it a goal of client-server applications?) you can always cut and paste it to some file, which can be then copied to diskette... :)

There is no such thing as absolute security. And before you define hardware/software security procedures, you need to determine which people have access to which data. If you don't trust people, they have no right to access data in any form, period.