Re: Brute Force Quickie Developer needs minor assistance finding code tool . . .

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Dec 2002 00:31:58 -0800

Syster wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am new to Oracle. I've been programming various client and web
> based utilities for MS SQL for years, now we have an Oracle server and
> I can't proceed in the same fashion of brute force coding that I used
> to do.
>
> The hospital I work for buys turnkey solutions, and I work on the
> "workarounds". For MS SQL, I use trace to find any information
> regarding how the client software accesses the database. I use that
> information to build my add-on utilities, report and query tools.
>
> My next project is to build a automatic faxing system for our
> laboratory database. I built the last one for our MS SQL lab system,
> but we've since upgraded to Oracle. It some version 7 Unix server
> that I'm not very familiar with.
>
> Here's the problem. I need a tool that will trace the sql statements
> that pass from the client to the server, similar to SQL Trace for MS
> SQL. I need to be able to filter what gets traced, say by IP Address
> or perhaps the workstation name etc.
>
> I would greatly appreciate your wisdom.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Tony Garrido

I'm not sure we can recommend something that does it the way SQL Server does because the first thing you need to learn is that the only similarities between Oracle and SQL Server are that (A) they are both RDBMS prdoucts and (B) MS marketing invests huge efforts in glossing over the differences.

I strongly urge you to purchase Tom Kyte's book "Expert one-on-one Oracle" and read it from cover-to-cover: But especially the first three chapters.

I also urge you to never ask question s here wihtout giving Oracle version and edition. Without that many of the answers you will receive will be generic or wrong.

Now to your question. Go to http://tahiti.oracle.com and search on the following:

"EXPLAIN PLAN"
"TKPROF"
"DBMS_PROFILER"
"V$OPEN_CURSOR"

Unless you are heavily invested in bringing Oracle to its knees I would suggest a lot of unlearning and an investment in learning Oracle concepts and architecture. They are substantially different from those of SQL Server.

Best of luck.

Daniel Morgan
ww.outreach.washington.edu/extinfo/certprog/oad/oad_crs.asp Received on Mon Dec 23 2002 - 09:31:58 CET

Original text of this message