Re: Performance of Forms PL/SQL vs Database PL/SQL

From: Martin Doherty <martin.doherty_at_oorraaccllee.com>
Date: Tue, 03 Dec 2002 17:59:53 -0800

[Quoted] I have always applied this policy for deciding where to locate my PL/SQL:

  1. If it involves user interaction or needs to call Forms built-ins, then it goes into the Form (or an attached library)
  2. If it implements business logic, doesn't need to call Forms built-ins or is focussed on accessing database objects (rather than UI objects) then it goes in the database.

In the best case, all the code that CAN go into the database DOES go into the database. By so doing, your valuable business logic & code resources are now accessible by any front-end tool (VB, SQL*Plus, Delphi, Forms, etc.) as well as batch server programs & Java stored procedures. Any code you put in your Developer forms or libraries is restricted for use only within that environment.

In my mind, this principle is more important than fractional performance improvements. However, I'd always be willing to compromise if my benchmarks showed a radical performance difference that will have *significant* business impact. Somewhat akin to deriving a fully 3NF database design, then purposely denormalizing for performance's sake in specific situations.

Martin Doherty

--
To email me, remove the stutter from martin.doherty_at_oorraaccllee.com