Re: A better SQL*Plus -- what features should it have?

From: Bret Goldsmith <bretg_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 8 Nov 2002 22:51:12 -0800

You may want to take a look at Oracle iSQLW, a tool I've been developing in some spare time as an all around development-friendly query analyzer. It's at the following URL:

http://home.swbell.net/gluttony/ (if you don't mind the funny name, the web page is very much an in-progress location)

> Some of the things that I think a better sqlplus should do are
> - syntax high lighting
Got it!

> - save the last x unique commands
Got it (a history window).

> - save personal favorites for access from the menu/hotkey
Doesn't have it yet...

> - display results in a grid (no messing with formating or wrapped lines of
> output)
Doesn't have it yet...

> - save results to a file

Got it, although still have to implement "spool filename.txt" as a command.

> - have as small a footprint as possible ( my sqlplus doesn't do what my
Built in Delphi, the executable is pretty big...

> schema browser does, etc)
No schema browser, but check out the describe functionality, such as DESCRIBE DUA%

> - have table/field name auto completion
Doesn't have it yet...

Bret
bretg_at_yahoo.com