Help with keeping JDeveloper at my company

From: JC <killburger_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 01 Sep 2002 17:11:36 GMT

Hello Oracle friends,
My Dilemma:
I've been using Java with Oracle for many years now. But, I've been using it "the old fashioned way" with TextPad and the SDK. Now, in comes a Microsoft sales person and sways the IT management that .Net will allow them to move from their proprietary systems very easily. I'm in charge of our Unix/Oracle development and know that there was nothing they showed that was new. It's all available in java. But, I have to admit the .Net visual studio is very well integrated. And, that's how they are selling to us. It's easy to learn and easy to make complex applications.

I'm VERY new with JDeveloper. But, from what I've read about it's features, it could do the same things. What I need is to put together a presentation showing how if you boil everything down to XML and XSD schemas, it's just as fast and easy with JDeveloper. I'm trying to learn it as fast as I can.

My need:
But I need some experts at JDeveloper that can help me as I try to do the things they are being shown. My company moves VERY slowly, so I'm confident that I have several months to put it together and show that JDeveloper will do the same thing only work with our Unix, Oracle, and Sybase systems better. Is there some person(s) out there who I can go to as I am introduced to each "easy" .Net solution to find out how to also do this in JDeveloper?

Specifics:
At this point, the IDE and code writing is no problem. JDeveloper shows very well. I'm having trouble with the XML designer and what Microsoft calls DataSets. These make much of the table logic drag-and-drop, so I need some help figuring the RAD way of doing this in JDeveloper. Or, whatever tools make this simplicity possible in Java.

Thanks, and I hope I wasn't too long winded :-) JC Received on Sun Sep 01 2002 - 19:11:36 CEST

Original text of this message