Re: Problem installing Designer

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Sat, 06 Jul 2002 22:54:02 +0200

On Sat, 06 Jul 2002 18:18:13 GMT, "Mike Trozzo" <lock_and_load62_at_hotmail.com> wrote:

>Hi All,
>
>I'm trying to install Designer onto my XP box that has 9i Enterprise
>installed on it. Howevern when I run Installer and enter the neccesary
>informatioon, I get the following error:
>
>"The location specified, 'C:\ORACLE\ORA90' is already used as a home for
>'Oracle 82 Beta'. It cannot be used as an oracle home for 'nt'."
>
>I once had 8.1 PI on this box, uninstalled it, and removed it from the
>registry. Does anyone know what the problem may be?
>
>TIA,
>Mike Trozzo

Apparently you are trying to install an old and desupported version of Designer. Those can't work with multiple homes correctly. You need to

- deinstall 9i
- Install Designer in the *default home*
- Install 9i in a *different home*

It looks like a bad idea to run Designer on the same system as the database. Designer is memory hungry. Most likely your system is going to crawl and crash or to crash and crawl.

Hth

Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

To reply remove -verwijderdit from my e-mail address Received on Sat Jul 06 2002 - 22:54:02 CEST

Original text of this message