Latency using UTL_TCP against SendMail on Linux box

From: AlanB <alanb_at_captura.com>
Date: 3 Jul 2002 12:32:18 -0700

[Quoted] I'm using UTL_TCP to support e-mails international because of extended ASSCI in the subject line.

I'm noticing a latency between issuing a SMTP command like EHLO or MAIL TO or DATA to name a few. This latency takes about 2.5 seconds after issuing the command and before any results are retrievable with the UTL_TCP.GetLine command.

I'm checking for bytes using the UTL_TCP.Available command to determine if anything is in the buffer. Once there is something in the buffer I can get the results in rapid succession using UTL_TCP.GetLine.

My questions are:

[Quoted] How is UTL_TCP communicating with SendMail? Is UTL_TCP reading a 'proprietary' buffer or is it using the SMTP buffer of SendMail?
Is there a configuration parameter in SendMail to have the results delivered faster?
Is UTL_TCP using Telnet to communicate with SendMail? Received on Wed Jul 03 2002 - 21:32:18 CEST

Original text of this message