Re: Oracle or DB2

From: Michael Austin <maustin_at_firstdbasource.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2002 09:26:47 -0400

"Scantland André" wrote:

> As anyone migrated from DB2 to Oracle. If so here are my questions if you
> have any answers:
>
> 1- Why did you migrate
> 2- Was it a question of money or technology
> 3- What happend to your corporate applications running on DB2.
> 4- Any tips (do's and dont's) for choosing Oracle.
>
> We are planning to dump INGRESS and we have many proposition for DB2 and
> Oracle. Our major corporate applications are running under INGRESS so we
> are planning to rewrite them using Oracle or DB2.
>
> We have some applications running on Oracle but we find the licencing fee
> high and the maintenance difficult. Can anyone provide insights.
>
> Thanks
>
> andré

There is really not enough information to answer this question properly. The only answer is: it all depends...

Do you have any DB2 or Oracle already in house? What platforms are being proposed? - Do you have any of these in house? What Skillsets do you already have available?

     nit: Always use real DBAs and real developers do not mix/match. Most programmers Oracle and otherwise **I have run into** know a whole lot about writing code. Very few of them understand database design concepts - like how to normalize data for the best performance.

--
Regards,

Michael Austin            OpenVMS User since June 1984
First DBA Source, Inc.    Registered Linux User #261163
Sr. Consultant            http://www.firstdbasource.com
                          http://www.firstdbasource.com/donation.html
704-947-1089 (Office)     704-236-4377 (Mobile)