Re: Oracle developer 6i for Linux - does it worht the efforts?

From: Tereschenko I.V. <zstprog_at_zaporizhstal.com>
Date: Fri, 05 Apr 2002 09:07:37 +0300

Paul wrote:
> After several weeks of problems and postings I've finally installed
> developer 6i on my computer. But after playing with it a little bit I was
> very frustrated about the quality of the product.
> What I've noticed is that all help is provided as on-line htm pages and it's
> actually for the oracle developer for windows version.
> GUI works very slow, drag n drop doesn't work at all, which makes most of
> help suggestions useless.
> The system overall is unstable (Opening a number of windows of d6i tools
> caused my computer to shut down suddenly several times)
> After all I'm thinking of either switching to Oracle developer 2k for
> windows or stick with plain sql*plus.
> Is there anybody who is successfully using the d6i for linux, please share
> with me your thoughts on the subject.
> ?aybe I need to tune up the system or there are some postinstall patches
> needed to weed out the bugs.
>
> my system is Linux Mandrake 8.1
> Oracle 9i
> openmotif 2.1.30_4 (I think)
> developer 6i release
>
> Any comments would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
>
> P.N.
>
> (??????? ??????????,
>
> ?????)

You should install glibc2.1-compat and use it:

export LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.2.5

export LDEMULATION=elf_i386_glibc21

# This is so that when genclntsh runs
# ld, it first looks at /usr/i386-glibc21-linux/lib
# for libraries

export GCC_EXEC_PREFIX=/usr/i386-glibc21-linux/lib/gcc-lib/ # This is so that the gcc driver uses
# the compatibility compiler ).
etc, etc...

  Also Oracle recommends that _Metrolink_ openmotif should be installed.

--

Best regards,
Igor Tereschenko.