Hex display in sqlplus possible?

From: Paul Donaldson <pdonaldson_at_versatilemobile.com>
Date: 27 Mar 2002 10:27:59 -0800

Hello,

[Quoted] I have a Java application that is reading in XML and writing to an Oracle database.

The XML contains accented charcters (e.g. 'e' with acute accent [])

When I view the XML using 'vi' I can see the data correctly if I have the LANG enviromment variable set to, for example, en_US.

When I use the command line tool 'sqlplus' to view the contents of my table, the accented character is shown as a '?', regardless of the setting of LANG. This suggests to me that it really is a question mark on the database and that there is a problem with my application. However, I would like to eliminate the possibility that the character really is an on the database but that sqlplus is unable to display it correctly.

Which brings me to my question (at last I hear you say) - is there any way I can get a hex representation of the data on the database? I thought I might be able to "SET" something from within sqlplus but I can't see anything relevant.

The OS is Solaris 7.

Any help most appreciated.

Thanks,
Paul Received on Wed Mar 27 2002 - 19:27:59 CET

Original text of this message