Re: UTL_FILE : invalid_path error

From: Thomas Kyte <tkyte_at_oracle.com>
Date: 12 Mar 2002 14:16:12 -0800

In article <4a5a78d4.0203120845.6488c1e5_at_posting.google.com>, adityanath_at_hotmail.com says...

>Hi!
>
>I am trying to use utl_file package.
>My Oracle is on SunOS
>
>I have put in the following line in init.ora
>
>utl_file_dir = *
>
>I have restarted the Oracle server

show us the output of this script WHEN RUN ON THE SERVER THE DATABASE IS ON!

show parameter utl

!ls -ldg /u12
!ls -ldg /u12/dashboard
!ls -l /u12/dashboard/Error.txt

my thoughts:

o utl_file_dir isn't really set to what you believe o /u12 doesn't exist on the server the database resides on OR is not readable/executable by the oracle software owner (who the database runs as) o or /u12/dashboard has that problem
o or /u12/dashboard/Error.txt already exists, and is not writable by the oracle software owner

(and rick's advice is sound, don't use *, I'll open your system.dbf in 'w' someday and erase it on you!)

--
Thomas Kyte (tkyte_at_us.oracle.com)             http://asktom.oracle.com/