REPOST: Re: Forms application tuning questions

From: Frank van Bortel <fbortel_at_home.nl>
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2002 19:41:10 +0100

steve deno wrote:

> I have a forms application (Version 6.0.8.12.1 ) with 10 blocks, 7
> canvases, and a good amount of triggers. The application accesses an
> 8.1.7 database on Solaris 8. It's sort of a data maintenance for that
> allows people to create custom queries using a control block, look at
> data, edit it and create new records. The forms performance is ok on
> my machine but when I move the exacutable to two other machines I get
> the following problems: drawing of objects gets really wierd
Did you design the form with a lot of colors enabled? E.g. your display was set to true color, whereas your customers use 64k or 256? Forms will map colors - may be slow. Same for rendering; don't! (numbers
> show up in the space where the down arrow of a drop down list should
> be),
One more sign of display characteristics - design with 800 x 600, 256 colors, max.
> scrolling is painfully slow (you hit the down scroll arrow on a
> block of records and a minute later the scroll is complete... etc.
That may be extensive triggering! Try debugging you form, see what code gets executed when navigation is performed. Watch out for W-N-I triggers!

> The machines that the application is deployed on have 128 mb RAM (as
> apposed to my machine which has 512MB) and one machine is accessing
> via dsl from another state.
>
> My questions are:
> 1. Is 128 MB RAM usually sufficient for a large forms application?
Is 128MB enough for a mainframe? What are you running? XP - No! W2K: perhaps not, W98/Me: well..., probably, W95: certainly. DOS? "there will never be a program that requires more that 640kB of memory, so this so-called border isn't one."
W. Gates III on 640kB address space of DOS
> 2. Do you know of any guides for tuning forms apps? (aside from simply
> indexing proper columns?
Scrutinize your triggers!

> 3. Would putting this application on forms server and accessing it via
> the web "lighten it up" on the client?
Certainly!
> 4. Is forms generally a memory hog?
> 5. Any Ideas would really help

Hth

--
Gtrz,

Frank van Bortel

========= WAS CANCELLED BY =======:
From: Frank van Bortel <fbortel_at_home.nl>
Control: cancel <3C51A6C6.B37C53C6_at_home.nl>
Subject: cmsg cancel <3C51A6C6.B37C53C6_at_home.nl>
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2002 01:20:03 GMT
Newsgroups: microsoft.test,alt.flame.niggers,comp.databases.oracle.tools

This message was cancelled from within The Unacanceller's glorious new software, Lotus 1-2-3 For Rogue Cancellers.