Forms 4.5 How- to Help requested

From: Guy <guycorbett_at_my-deja.com>
Date: 10 Dec 2001 03:06:11 -0800

[Quoted] I have a form based on a base-table block, the where clause excludes records based on a condition in another table. Inserting a new record is performed by the usual adding of detail to a blank row and then saving the block, on a normal insert a post-insert trigger handles the other table so that the record will now appear in this query. On some occasions the user tries to add one of the records already in the base table but excluded by the where clause. This is currently prevented by a pre-insert trigger checking the condition and raising an error. The users require a change to allow them to add these records without any other changes to the way the form works. I can track this condition in the pre-insert trigger and perform the update in the other table but cannot work out how to prevent forms continuing to attempt to insert the record and consequentially getting a ORA-40508 because the record already exists in the base table. Attempts to get any of the triggers to requery the block rather than doing the insert give a FRM-40737 (Illegal restricted procedure GO_block in ... trigger).
Is there a way to prevent the attempted insert of the individual row whilst still processing any other inserts or amendments on the screen or will I have to change the way the screen operates? Any helpful suggestions appreciated. Received on Mon Dec 10 2001 - 12:06:11 CET

Original text of this message