Re: Is it possible to move DB

From: Tuomas Hosia <tuomas.hosia_at_helsoft.fi>
Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2001 08:08:57 GMT

"Michèl Borgman" <MBorgman_at_home.nl> kirjoitteli seuraavaa:

>Hello there,
>
>I'm wondering if it is possible to move an entire Database to another
>server, by copying files from one to an other(from /oradata and /ora81).
>Then adjusting the TNSnames?

Yes. At least with 8.0.5 on linux, which I've done. It's not difficult.

Shutdown the old one, stop all processes.

Create user 'oracle' and group 'dba' with same id's as in old machine to new machine.

Copy directories from the old as they are, adjust or copy /etc/oratab.

Copy startup/shutdown scripts to system directories, if any. (I had a script to shutdown/startup oracle with system.)

Adjust listener.ora and tnsnames.ora with new hostname.

At this point, new should start.

I might have forgotten something, but most of steps are here. ;)

Tuomas Received on Fri Nov 23 2001 - 09:08:57 CET

Original text of this message