Re: Mysterious behaviour with exp

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2001 06:56:39 +0100

On Thu, 15 Nov 2001 23:32:54 +0100, Rick Denoire <100.17706_at_germanynet.de> wrote:

>Hello!
>
>I have cloned a production database to a "test" and a "development"
>version. These have been used for a while now.
>
>I have put a cronjob to do an export. Essentially, a script file
>(Solaris, Oracle 8.1.7) is called, and essentially something like this
>is coded into it:
>
>exp / consistent=y log=<logfile> etc.
>
>(the options themselves are not relevant to the problem).
>
>The script gets the ORACLE_SID as a parameter (an exported variable
>inside the script). Although the same script is used for all DBs,
>while using the "test" DB the script fails because it can't connect to
>it - it is just a login question.
>
>If I manually start the script for the test DB, I get an error while
>trying to connect and am given the chance to put a username and a
>password. If these are correct, export succeeds, but just putting "/"
>as in the script does not work.
>
>The script is run in the same machine hosting the DB. The only
>difference I found comparing to other DBs was a parameter in the init
>file relating authentication, and its value would be "" (empty) in one
>case, or OPC$ (or something similar, sorry I can't tell for sure since
>I am not at the office right now). This is a kind of prefix which, if
>prepended to the username, would allow anyone to connect bypassing
>Oracle's own authentication mechanisms (OS based). I just can't
>understand how this has to do with the login problem, since the script
>in the crontab is being executed by the user "oracle" (it is in his
>crontab).
>
>Please help me understand!
>
>Thanks
>
>Rick

You are using OS-authenticated login because you have / only on the commandline
OS-authenticated login expects an Oracle account <login_prefix><os user> to be present in the database. That would mean you have an account ops$oracle in one database, and you don't have a similar in the other.
I would keep the prefixes identical, BTW. For the user Oracle to connect OS-authenticated _without_ a corresponding account, you'll need the / as sysdba syntax.

Hth

Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

To reply remove -verwijderdit from my e-mail address Received on Fri Nov 16 2001 - 06:56:39 CET

Original text of this message