Re: 100% CPU Forms 4.5 Oracle 7.3.4

From: Christian Baar <lb38bc_at_yahoo.de>
Date: 13 Nov 2001 00:59:45 -0800

Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl> wrote in message news:<e0dvutgf2ht9d249a0p917fbh5gu7qp1d6_at_4ax.com>...
> On 12 Nov 2001 02:26:56 -0800, lb38bc_at_yahoo.de (Christian Baar) wrote:
>
> >We are running a Forms 4.5 application using Oracle 7.3.4 (AIX) and
> >caught a terrible client behaviour since we installed a new component
> >doing some sort of batch processing:
> >
> >For every item of a list of records we load a form, do some
> >processing, unload the form and continue with the next record.
> >
> >This works fine for a list containing a very small number of records
> >(2, 3, etc). When we do this with a larger amount of records (60 or
> >more), the processing works fine, too, but after the last record is
> >processed, the client's CPU load remains at 100% for about 10 minutes,
> >although nothing is done (at least by the client-side code).
> >Unnecessary to say that even the processing of a mouse-click takes
> >forever during this time :-(
> >
> >Has anybody ever experienced something like this and is able to help
> >me out?
> >
> >Christian
>

> First of all : both 7.3.4 and Forms 4.5 have been desupported quite a
> while ago. You will soon find yourself stuck.
> Secondly: from your description it looks like you start a new form
> many times, involving connect and disconnect, and server side session
> for each individual connect. If that is true it is not amazing it
> doesn't work, as you will rapidly consuming all resources.
> Other than that the description of your problem is very vague
> (how do you manage to load a form for every item in a list of records?
> Forms is not suited for batch processing) and you request us to shoot
> in the dark
>
> regards
>
> Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

I am sorry if I was not detailed enough in my description. Thank you for your response anyway. I hope this is more helpful to you:

We are using a customizable software for administrating insurance contracts. This software provides an engine to do most of the necessary database transactions for all kinds of business movements needed to administrate single contracts. For every kind of business movement you have to define a set of "routes" which is processed by this engine.
The problem I described appears during a "new business" movement. Unfortunately this kind of movement requires a "client-route" which MUST consist of an oracle form. Every day we receive a varying number of new contracts which could be processed manually one-by-one. Instead of having our clerks do this work, we import all new contracts into a temporary oracle table and display the complete list in a separate form. Then, hitting a button on the form, we programmatically start the movement for every record in the list looping through it. The engine loads and unloads the client-route form for every new contract, doing the needed database transactions in the process. All this is done within one instance of the application. The (ONLY!) database session is started when the application is started. Loading the client-route form does not do a database connect. If you watch the CPU load during this process, it alternates between ground zero and value x (x being app. 40% for the first contract and increasing with every additional contract). However, after the very last contract it doesn't go back down to zero as it did after every previous contract but remains at 100% for 10-15 minutes. Do you think this can be a resource problem?

Christian Received on Tue Nov 13 2001 - 09:59:45 CET

Original text of this message