Stored Proc Compile Time Stamps

From: Ken Shearer <kens_at_lexis-nexis.com>
Date: 16 Oct 2001 20:17:32 GMT

[Quoted] I've noticed that if I change the code of a stored proc and compile it, the last modified date/time stamp is updated. Oracle will also update the time stamp if the proc has gone invalid for some reason and an implicit or explicit compile is done.

Question: If I have a stored proc (or package for that matter) that is still "valid" and simply do a alter/compile on it (without modifying the code), the last modified date/time stamp is not updated. Does oracle know there are no changes to the text and as a result does not really perform the compile? or does the compile really take place but Oracle just doesn't update the time stamp in this situation? Received on Tue Oct 16 2001 - 22:17:32 CEST

Original text of this message