Re: Forms and commit

From: Scott Mattes <ScottMattes_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2001 19:30:42 GMT

[Quoted] [Quoted] Ah, no, I can't post it, but I can tell you what it is doing (I know, not the same thing, but...).

The form comes up, user selects an action from a radio group, goes to that canvas (none of the fields are linked to the database, they are strictly for [Quoted] data entry and display), enters data, clicks on the submit button and the [Quoted] data is taken and put into the DB via 'insert into tablename fields( field_list ) values( value_list);' and after 13 records are insert it does a [Quoted] commit and then a go_block to return to the first canvas. I stepped through [Quoted] it in debug and every insert happened, the commit happened and the go_block [Quoted] happened, then the procedure was exited - all with no exceptions raised. [Quoted] What I saw afterwards was 1) no new records in the DB, and 2) the wrong canvas displayed.

If I take out the commit I still get problem #1, but problem #2 is cured.

Someone sent me an email directly in which was stated that Forms determines [Quoted] the need to do the commit and if it feels it isn't needed it doesn't really [Quoted] [Quoted] do it. I can accept this, though I don't like it - it means processing hoops [Quoted] that have to be jumped through that aren't needed if the tool behaved [Quoted] itself. What I don't understand is the wrong canvas being displayed.

I am in the midst of trying to define a block that is linked to the table fields, but to do a create_record at least one of the fields needs to be navigatable. I don't want these to be seen by the user. I then moved those fields to the block that has the input fields, but now I have to save off the input values for use in the insert statements, because every 'create_record' also makes new versions of the input fields.

What is the 'right' way to do this? I would, actually I did, think that using the 'insert into table...' should be the way to go.

Thank you for any light that you may be able to shed on this problem.