XML Database Schema Tools

From: william milbratz <milbratz_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 10 Oct 2001 11:38:24 -0700

Can anyone recommend a tool for maintaining a database schema definition in XML and subsequently transforming it into vendor-specific flavors of sql (i.e. Oracle, SQL Server), etc. We develop our application for both Oracle and SQL server and want a means to automatically generate schema definitions for both database products.

We're considering using XML instead of ErWin for our database schema definition. ErWin abstracts the vendor-specific details from the data model, but we've found that it has some limitations--manual steps required to convert the default values (e.g. from "sysdate" to "getDate()"), it doesn't allow you to simultaneously represent a model in all your databases.

A newsgroup-search has shown several posts on the topic over the last two years, but yielded no conclusive answers.

Sourceforge has a similar-sounding tool here, but it's in development: http://sourceforge.net/projects/xml2dbschema/

any suggestions?

thanks in advance,

bill m Received on Wed Oct 10 2001 - 20:38:24 CEST

Original text of this message