Host command behavior question

From: Mike Coldewey <No_Spam4m_coldewey_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 01 Oct 2001 13:24:07 GMT

Currently we are generating reports by calling external Pro*C executables from Oracle Forms (4.5) and then printing the output text files. This is done via the host command to produce them ( like: host('rptprogram parameter1 parameter2 ...') )followed by another host command to print them (host('command /c copy rptprogram.rpt PRN')). This works OK in Win95 in that the host command waits for completion of the called program. However, on Windows 2000 (and, I suspect, in NT), it doesn't wait; the host program appears to spawn a new thread and immediately return. Is there a way using the host command to force it to wait for the program to finish? Failing that, what I may need to do is to write a C++ program to (a). produce the report and, when it has completed, (b) print it. Can anyone think of another workaround besides this?

Mike Received on Mon Oct 01 2001 - 15:24:07 CEST

Original text of this message