Migrating Forms 4.5 apps to Windows CE

From: Robert Corrigan <robertc_at_dcquest.com>
Date: 26 Sep 2001 12:33:51 -0700

Hi,

I'm trying to get started on migrating Forms 4.5 apps to Windows CE. I have a suspicion that this is not possible and that I will have to build an entirely new front end for the application. I have been told that I will need a version of SQL*NET and Oracle Client that will run on Windows CE. I cannot find a reference to a CE version of these products anywhere on Oracle's website. The CE device would be talking to an Oracle 7.3.4 database on HP/UX. I have downloaded Oracle Lite but it looks like you can only manipulate a database on the CE device itself and can only access remote databases via synch API calls (I haven't even been able to find ODBC drivers for Oracle on CE!).

Windows Terminal Server or Forms Server (the version that converts FRX files into Java applets and downloads them via the web) are still options before I decide to rewrite the front-end in Embedded Visual Basic on CE and move the database manipulation to a middleware server where I know I can perform the database access. Am I just better off doing the rewrite?

TIA,
RobertC Received on Wed Sep 26 2001 - 21:33:51 CEST

Original text of this message