Re: Oracle Installer doesn't work in WinME

From: Chris Boyle <cboyle_at_no.spam.hargray.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2001 09:53:56 -0400

[Quoted] From the ODTUG mail list:::

I did a search elsewhere on the 'net and found a couple of messages - tried the fix and I now have Oracle 8i vs. 8.1.6 loaded. I'm posting the 2 messages in case they help anyone else.
Now for Developer - and to try and get the two talking!

Malcolm

Posted by Ashraf (212.138.47.12) on July 24, 2001 at 20:21:00:

  To install properly.....

  Do the following to install Personal Oracle 8i for Windows98 on a Windows ME machine:

  1. Edit the win.ini file
  2. Go to the [Compatibility95] section
  3. Add Jrew=0x00080000 in the [Compatibility95] section
  4. Save the win.ini file and reboot your machine

  This fix lets the Java Runtime Engine know that this is a Windows95 compatible machine. Before the fix it does not recognize the operating system and that is why it
  fails.

ashraf_pm_at_hotmail.com

> Try and see if this works:
>
> Oracle 8.1.5 Personal Edition - FIX #1
> Oracle does not support installing version 8.1.5 PE into Windows
  Millennium.

> As an unsupported workaround, you may add the following line to the
> [compatibility95] section of win.ini prior to installation:
  Jrew=0x00080000

> After setup is complete, Oracle will recommend a reboot. There is one
> additional step necessary prior to reboot; Oracle may add a non-standard
> path statement to the autoexec.bat file. Please modify this SET PATH
> statement to use short-filenames if you find a quoted LFN string
  represented
> as part of the path. You can
> confirm that the path was merged successfully into the registry after
  reboot
> by examining the PATH variable
> in the registry at
> HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\SessionManager\Environment
>
> Symptoms of a missing Oracle path statement in the registry are that
Net8
> Easy Config will not launch.
>
> Please note that Oracle does not support the use of this product in
  Windows