Re: 2 longs in a table

From: TurkBear <noone_at_nowhere.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2001 10:40:18 -0500

You can have a varchar2(4000) field..if you key is longer than that, sorry

David Forslund <forslund_at_mail.com> wrote:

>Sybrand Bakker wrote:
>
>> "David W. Forslund" <dwforslund_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> > Oracle tells me that I can't have two longs in a single table.
>> > I want to have a long as a key and as a foreign key to
>> > point to values in another (or the same table). The
>> > latter is essentially a linked list with long values. I've
>> > done this with other databases without any problems.
>> > How can I accomplish this with Oracle? I'm using 8.1.7.
>> >
>> > Thanks,
>> >
>> > Dave Forslund
>> >

>I know I can't in Oracle. I simply want a long string as a key. I can use
>such a
>string in other databases, why not in Oracle? What is the way to accomplish
>something like this in Oracle? I would like to use a standard SQL datatype
>so that my code doesn't have to have Oracle'isms embedded in it.
>
>Dave
>

>> You can't. The long datatype has been superseded by LOBs, which don't have
>> the one per table restriction. As you don't state which type of data the
>> columns are holding I can't say whether you need to use a CLOB or a BLOB.
>> I doubt however you can use a CLOB or a BLOB as a key.
>> Your documentation will give you the definitive answer.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

-----= Posted via Newsfeeds.Com, Uncensored Usenet News =----- http://www.newsfeeds.com - The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!  Check out our new Unlimited Server. No Download or Time Limits! -----== Over 80,000 Newsgroups - 19 Different Servers! ==----- Received on Wed Sep 12 2001 - 17:40:18 CEST

Original text of this message