Re: Oracle 8i

From: Thomas Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: 30 Aug 2001 10:52:40 -0700

In article <pUmj7.970$az2.234619_at_nnrp6.proxad.net>, "Vigi98" says...

>"trivial" <nospam_at_nospam.com> wrote in message
>> I have just installed Oracle 8 17. When I try to run sql plus I'm getting
>> the error message: ORA-01034: ORACLE not available and: ORA-27101: shared
>> memory realm does not exist.
>> Oracle worked before, but after my computer hang and I forced it to reboot
>> the problem started. I have reinstalled Oracle, but It doesn't help.
>>

>Huge solution : de-install Oracle, remove all oracle files and folders from
>you disk AND remove all references to Oracle from your registry (because, I
>understood your in Windows env). Then re-install Oracle on sane basis :-)
>I just did it yesterday...

wouldn't it just be easier to use oradim to set the autostart status for the database on?

Reinstalling for this is sort of like using a atom bomb to crack open a walnut, sure the walnut is cracked open but....

Either:

o the oracle database service is set to manual (use control panel to adjust)

o the service is starting but the startup mode is set off -- see http://technet.oracle.com/doc/oracle8i_816/nt.816/a73008/ch5.htm#1013701

o there is some error in staring of the database -- review the alert log in your $ORACLE_HOME\admin\$ORACLE_SID\bdump directory. correct error found in there.

--
Thomas Kyte (tkyte_at_us.oracle.com)             http://asktom.oracle.com/