Checking OS Version from Forms

From: David Belton <david.belton_at_mcps-prs-alliance.co.uk>
Date: 23 Aug 2001 03:51:07 -0700

get_application_property(operating_system) can be used to determine whether the client is Windows based, Mac based, etc. The only that I know of checking the version of Windows is to look in the registry.

In Win'95 the registry entry
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\WINDOWS NT\CURRENTVERSION does not contain any values.

In Windows 2000 there is a key under this entry called ProductName which contains 'Microsoft Windows 2000'. I presume, but I haven't checked, that it is 'Microsoft Windows NT' for NT machines.

To read it use the following...
DECLARE
  l_operating_system VARCHAR2(50);
BEGIN
  l_operating_system :=
win_api_environment.read_registry('HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\WINDOWS NT\CURRENTVERSION','PRODUCTNAME');
END; Win 95 will return NULL and Win 2000 brings back the key value.

Hope this helps,
David Received on Thu Aug 23 2001 - 12:51:07 CEST

Original text of this message