Re: Where to get Oracle Client 8.1.5

From: Jane Williams <jane_at_williams.nildram.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 04 Aug 2001 13:06:52 GMT

On 3 Aug 2001 01:28:36 -0700, schwickert_at_yahoo.com (T. Schwickert) wrote:

>Hi,
>
>you need the Oracle-Client, at least SQL*Net
>The ODBC-driver uses sqlnet ...
>
>Thomas

The Oracle installer usually lets you pick which bits you install. Like Thomas says, you need SQL*Net, and the files that go with it. Oracle will sort out dependencies for you (the TCP/IP interface, probably).

There is also an Oracle-supplied ODBC driver: you might want to use that, or use the Microsft ODBC driver for Oracle.

I'm not sure how much space this minimal installation would take, but nothing like 100M.

There are other issues about using Access to get at an Oracle database, but that's a separate topic. Received on Sat Aug 04 2001 - 15:06:52 CEST

Original text of this message