Re: Char, Number or Integer, What to use?

From: Thomas Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Sun, 22 Jul 2001 06:58:03 GMT

In article <9imal3$jua$1_at_talia.mad.ttd.net>, "FĂ©lix" says...

>I am designing a database and I have to define some numeric fields. I would
>like to know what is the data type (char, number or integer) that occupies
>less memory.
>Thanks.
>Felix

you have numbers -- regardless of the storage you would only consider number of integer types. char shouldn't even come into consideration if you have numbers.

That aside, an integer is in fact an Oracle number with no decimal places, an integer is a number(38).

See
http://technet.oracle.com/doc/oracle8i_816/server.816/a76965/c10datyp.htm#629

for details on the datatypes, their storage and how to use them.

--
Thomas Kyte (tkyte_at_us.oracle.com)             http://asktom.oracle.com/