wpg_session error (ORA-3113) with Portal 3.0 on Tru64

From: Kurt <kbotl_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 17 Jul 2001 08:14:32 -0700

Problem:

Every night the database is shutdown for a cold backup. Every morning, when users first try to access Oracle Portal applications, they get the wpg_session_api failed error with the ORA-03113 error code. After hitting reload 4-5 five times, the problem goes away and doesn't reappear all day until the next morning.

We are not using database links, a common cause for this problem. The appearance of the problem correlates with whether there are already existing Portal30 and Portal30_public sessions available to use (and portal30_sso sessions if they need to login to access their application).

The current work-around is for me to access Oracle Portal early in the morning before the end users start work, and hit reload until there are 20-30 sessions or so available, but I'm a consultant and won't be here forever to do that. Is it possible to 'pre-create' a few portal30, portal30_public and Portal30_sso sessions automatically when the database is restarted after backup every night?

Or, is there an httpd.conf, listener.ora or init.ora parameter that will either cause the sessions to be initiated faster when the user first accesses Portal, or cause the application to wait longer before returning the end-of-communication channel (3113) error?

TIA, Kurt Received on Tue Jul 17 2001 - 17:14:32 CEST

Original text of this message