Re: What to backup in Oracle?

From: MikeWJ <mjenkins_at_jcn.net>
Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2001 01:22:58 -0500

Niall,

I'm VERY new to Oracle [the boss handed me [middle of November 2000] the CD's to 8i, gave me a brand new NT server, and said he had to have it by Christmas, 2000. I'm not an NT administrator nor a dba. So I learned it the hard way -read the manuals and ask questions.

I tried using RMAN for backup. It appeared to work, but I'm cautious about how to do a restore. I found that I can log into the console mode, then start up the Data Administrator (? or something like that), and set up an internal backup and run it as an internal job. And let Oracle set it up and run. My first test of this was last Thursday. So now my backups are:

  1. do an incremental, internal backup Monday thru Thursday to disk;
  2. do a full backup on Friday, to disk, as most users only work a half day on Friday.
  3. Using Veritas Backup Exec for NT, I do a daily, incremental backup to tape. This is done after step 1 so I have backed up the data too excluding the database files for Oracle and SQL, as each is backed up, internally, to disk.
  4. Using Veritas, I do a Full backup on Friday excluding the Oracle database & SQL database files; but including the internally backed up files.

If I can procure another tape drive, I can copy the original tapes, and store the
"grandfather" tapes at an off-site storage facility that we have used for the companies' NT servers and my VAXcluster [I'm the system manager].

When I used RMAN, I did a "backup database" as opposed to picking the files. And then found out in the documentation, that I was indeed doing a full backup.

Mike