Re: Connect internal

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2001 14:13:59 +0100

"Howard J. Rogers" <howardjr_at_www.com> wrote in message news:3aab64c3$1_at_news.iprimus.com.au...

> "Sybrand Bakker" <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl> wrote in message
> >
> > "Van Messner" <vmessner_at_bestweb.net> wrote in message
> > > connect sys as sysdba then change the sys password
> > >

> > > "fogun" <nospam_at_spam.net> wrote in message

> > Sorry to say so, but this answer is incorrect.
> > As he is capable of using connect internal without password he uses OS
> > authentication. So changing the password wouldn't make any difference.
> > Of course this works on the server only.
> > On NT you could try to remove the ORA_DBA local group.
> > On Unix implementations of Oracle you can't disable this at all, and why
> > should you, as you are already connected to the server as a privileged
> user.
>

> I may be wrong, but I thought on Unix that it was membership of the 'dba'
> group that gained you O/S authentication rights. Hence, removal of that
> group, or all entries within it, would effectively 'switch off' O/S
> authentication on Unix, and force the use of Password File authentication.
>
> I can't see why Unix should be different in this regard as compared with
 NT
> (but I'm willing to learn!)
>
> Regards
> HJR
>

> > Regards,
> >
> > Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA

Well one thing is for sure: the dba group used on install is linked into the code. So I would expect strange errors once you remove this groups. I did see errors (mainly ORA-1034) when the uid and the gid of the Oracle owner didn't comply with the uid and the gid used at install. (This was in a system running NIS, where the NIS database showed different uids and gids from the local /etc/passwd and /etc/group)

Regards,

Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA Received on Sun Mar 11 2001 - 14:13:59 CET

Original text of this message