Newbie Wants to know how to Copy Database

From: Pateril <pateril_at_ianpaterson.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2001 19:50:19 -0000

Pardon my ignorance, but ....

[Quoted] As part of testing a new system, I want to know how to take an exact copy of an Oracle database. The idea being that we can carry out some transactional type routines in a Test database, and if they turn out wrong, we can fix the original, source database, copy to the 'test area' and try again - without creating any 'history'. We have a 'Live' and a 'Test' database already set up. Is there a straightforward means of copying (or overwriting) the Live database to the Test area?

The Oracle DBA is not available, otherwise I would have asked him!

Thanks

---