Re: How to manage the versions of databases ?

From: Joseph Misko <josephmisko_at_noham.hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2001 15:03:00 -0500

[Quoted] If you are modifying the structure of your databases every three months and releasing to your customers, you need to step back and do some longer-range analysis. Mapping out the complete goals and needs of your application will [Quoted] eliminate this management nightmare. An application's data structure should change at most once every major version release (ideally, at most once per [Quoted] year--some never change). When you do have to modify the structure, write one single conversion routine and take that with you to all the sites, after you have tested it well on a complete data set. That should ease the transitions and eliminate the manual work. The best way to deal with managing database structures is to design as fully as possible up front and change only when necessary thereafter.