Performance issue

From: Steve Salvemini <steve.salvemini_at_adelaide.edu.au>
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2001 17:12:22 +1030

[Quoted] [Quoted] We have a oracle database setup on a development platform and one on the [Quoted] pre-production platform, both of similar spec, but the pre-prod database [Quoted] is very slow. The cpu maxes out when queries are sent through to it. The [Quoted] link is a 100mb link from the client, so network speed is not expected to be the problem.

The development db is probably slightly bigger in size.

This is a very broad question I know, but perhaps there are several key [Quoted] things for me to check, ie

on the apps side:
- check the optimisation mode choose/rule

  • depending on mode, check indexes/statistics
  • test the qep in both databases for sample sql's to check results are the same on both the client and the server
  • check versions of oracle are the same and similarly patched
  • check operating system versions are the same and similarly patched
  • check settings in the v$parameter between the 2 databases

on the server side:
pretty limited in my knowledge here...
- compare contents of oracle.ini

  • any ideas ???

Thanks for any ideas Received on Wed Jan 31 2001 - 07:42:22 CET

Original text of this message